"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. "--Walt Disney

Aunt E, Uncle G with the nieces

Aunt E, Uncle G with the nieces
Love our nieces dearly!!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

You know you're supposed to whisper the word "cancer"

The "C" word...used in a soft tone by those speaking about a friend or loved one that is battling this cellular killing demon. It knows no age, race, gender or religious preference. Millions of dollars are spent on researching the various types of cancer and new treatments or experimental drugs are being used in the hopes of sending cancer packing.

In my family, hearing the word "cancer" has become almost normal. Skin cancers from long days and years of sun exposure, to Mantle Cell Lymphoma...removal, treatment, remission....

If you know anything about me, you know I'm the oldest of eight grandchildren on my father's side. He has two brothers and a "little" sister. My dad's youngest brother was having some digestive issues and went for a check-up...the colonscopy...the diagnosis CANCER....a type of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Undergoing treatments, my uncle also used his own stem cells, as the monstrous demon had not entered his bone marrow. It was a successful stem cell transplant and over time, my uncle went into remission....

Year One....Year Two....Year Three---we, as the family, celebrated each of these years as the cancer stayed away (all praise to the LORD above, who answers prayers) or so we thought.

Forward to 2011--shortly before he and my aunt's well deserved anniversary cruise, a routine check-up shows that the cancer had come back. Despite being in the early stage, the demon had returned. Treatment began after the cruise and testing started for a stem cell donor. 

As I've learned during the past few months, doctors look at siblings first for possible donor matches. My uncle had two brothers and a sister...all tested. The news came back...oldest brother was the donor match for the youngest brother. My dad was my uncle's stem cell match. More testing of the cells and the like, now the process of getting ready to harvest those cells is roughly two weeks away. Dad begins getting daily shots May 20th to boost his stem cell production, then off to Dallas for a day or two of harvesting them for my uncle. While dad's job will be finished in this part, they will become more than just biological siblings....it is one brother helping save the life of the other.

The "C" word also knows no boundaries when it comes to others I know. Last night, I learned that a wonderfully, awesome teacher I had as a student is battling breast cancer.  Mom E, as I called her (not using her last name), was my 7/8 th grade English teacher. She was also my speech/drama/debate coach, the one I could go  to whenever I was happy/sad/confused. She could inspire students to do great things....and one of the biggest reasons I went into teacher...the reason I teach the classes I love English/Speech. Learning this news was like a balloon popped. This couldn't have happened to her. She was the energetic teacher....quirky, could be a better term. She was a teacher that could motivate even the most difficult student. I pray for her recovery and know that she has many of her former students that are sending up prayers and love for the one that inspired them as well. 

The "C" word....say it in a whisper or yell it out loud. However, you choose to say those words, do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment